You just got your roof cleaned and it still looks dirty. How can that be? You saw how diligently your technician was working. There has to be an explanation right?? Yes, there definitely is, your tile could be variegated if you don’t know what variegated tiles are let us help you out.
What is a variegated roof tile?
Variegated roof tiles are roof tiles that have a natural, uneven color distribution. This is caused by the way the clay or concrete is fired, which results in different shades of color throughout the tile. Variegated roof tiles can be made from a variety of materials, including clay, concrete, and slate.
Variegated roof tiles are a popular choice for homeowners who want a roof that is both beautiful and unique. The uneven color distribution of variegated tiles gives them a natural, rustic look that can complement a variety of architectural styles.
The benefits of variegated roof tile
Here are some of the benefits of using variegated roof tiles:
- Unique and attractive appearance: Variegated roof tiles have a natural, uneven color distribution that gives them a unique and attractive appearance. This can make your roof stand out from the crowd and add character to your home.
- Durability: Variegated roof tiles are very durable and can last for many years.
Variegated Tiles can be Confusing
As a pressure washing company, we don’t find that there is necessarily a problem with variegated tiles, but the variegation of the tile can be a bit confusing. Usually in Southwest Florida when the Gloeocapsa magma (blue/green algae) grows on the roof* it gives a black appearance from the ground. This can cause a homeowner or even the Homeowner’s Association (HOA) to think the roof is dirty when it’s not.
When we get called out to the job and see the roof is variegated we happily take pictures and explain to the homeowners that their tiles are variegated. Pictures are extremely necessary in the case of the HOA to prove that the roof is not dirty.
How can you tell if your roof is dirty?
As a rule of thumb, when dealing with a roof that needs to be cleaned versus variegated tiles check the following characteristics which will be prominent.
- First, if you have extra tiles from the roof check them, if you see a variation in them you are likely to see the same on the roof.
- Next, look for a uniform look to the discoloration rather than streaking, usually, this is how you can spot when the roof needs cleaning. Algae usually will grow at the same rate and in a uniform fashion in an area.
- Third, the North and the East side of the home will always show algae prior to the South and West sides of the home. These areas get less sunlight causing the algae to be able to breed easier.
- Finally, check the faces of the tiles (the edges you see from the ground of the tiles) this is one of the first places the algae can be seen.
Overall, variegated roof tiles are an excellent option for homeowners who want a beautiful, durable, low-maintenance roof. However, they can be more expensive and difficult to install than other types of roof tiles.
If you need your variegated tiles inspected in Sarasota, Charlotte, Manatee, and Lee Counties consider calling Hoover Pressure Cleaning.
From the roof to the street, with Hoover your cleaning is complete.
We proudly serve Charlotte, Sarasota, Lee, and Manatee Counties.